If you’re looking for a way to break into the modeling scene, the solution might be right under your nose -- in your phone. Instagram is one of the most effective tools for learning about yourself as a model, gaining a large following, and opening more doors in your career.
But with over one billion accounts on Instagram, how can you make yours stand out? It takes hard work to become an instagram model, but if you know the right steps it’s possible.
We’ve learned how to become an instagram model from those who’ve done so successfully. Here are the tips we learned:
- Understand instagram users
One of the most easily overlooked things to do when starting your journey as an instagram model is to do your research on the platform and its users. This will help you find your niche and tailor your content to the people who are most likely to see it. While it’s important to do thorough research, we’ve pulled together some high-level statistics from SproutSocial that can help set you up for success:
- More than half of Instagram users are under the age of 34, with the largest demographic being 18-24 year olds
- The United States has the most Instagram accounts, followed by India and Brazil
- Instagram users spend an average of 53 minutes per day on the platform
- The sectors most commonly working with influencers are luxury items, sports clothing, and beauty
Understanding these top level statistics at the very least will help you find opportunities to market yourself and give your content the best possible chance at visibility and engagement.
- Get the right equipment
If you have a newer model phone, you probably have a pretty good camera. But pretty good isn’t going to set you apart from other Instagram models. Having the right tools on hand can help you take professional quality pictures, play up your best features, and make the photoshoot easier to execute especially if you are working alone.
We recommend these essentials:
- An LED ring light for perfect lighting in any situation
- An adjustable tripod
- A bluetooth powered shutter remote control
- A smartphone mount and extension poles
You may also want to consider buying a professional camera like a point and shoot, but that can be a major investment. These recommended items carry a smaller cost so they might be better for getting started.
- Define your style
Now, it’s time to get started on putting together a killer profile. If you’re interested in becoming a model, odds are you already have an idea of what fashion and photography styles you’re into. Use that to define your style before you populate your grid so your content stays consistent from the beginning. Remember, people will be looking not only at your individual photos but at your page as a whole, so it has to be cohesive.
Here are three elements of your style you’ll want to define and keep consistent:
- Vibe -- What do you want the overall feel and tone of your photos to be? Are you going to be an adventurous lifestyle model or an edgy high fashion model?
- Colors -- Pick a few core colors that work well with your skintone, eyes, and overall aesthetics. Try to keep your photos within that color palette for continuity, but if you do need to shift, do so gradually in a way that feels natural.
- Content -- Will you post mostly still photos, videos, or a mix? Will you be featuring other products or just yourself? Are your captions going to be long or short?
You’ll want to define these based on your strengths as a model and what your target audience/talent scouts in your niche respond well to.
- Use hashtags for visibility
Hashtags are a great way for new followers to discover you and for you to further define your personal brand. However, it’s easy to clutter your posts with so many hashtags that post viewers think you are not authentic and don’t want to follow you.
Be sure to use hashtags carefully and purposefully, selecting the 3-5 that are most relevant to your specific post. You can rotate hashtags between different posts so you cover a wider range of hashtags without overstuffing your captions. Also, be sure to explore the hashtag before you use it. A hashtag you plan on using might have a different meaning to another niche audience -- if you see posts under that hashtag that have no relevance to the type of content you create, it might be best to use a different hashtag.
There are some great tools like Hashtagify that let you analyze hashtags to see what you should be including in your posts.
- Get noticed
Getting noticed is all about growing your follower base. However, the quality of followers is more important than the quantity. So while it may be tempting to go with a quick fix like purchasing followers, that will actually be harmful down the line. Those purchased followers won’t be interacting with your content, so your follower to engagement ratio will be low and give off inauthenticity.
Did you know, a modeling agency can help guide you and help you become a top notch Instagram model?
Instead, you’ll have to put in the time to grow fans organically. Here are tips for getting more follower:
- Explore your relevant hashtags and follow accounts that frequently post content within your niche
- Frequently like and comment on posts within your niche, especially on posts by people with good followings
- Post consistently with hashtags so new users can see your posts
It’s also important to keep your followers once you gain them. Be sure to post at least a few times a week with engaging content that fits your target audience.
- Collaborate with others
Instagram is a social network after all! Make sure you are following and engaging with other models, photographers, and other professionals in the modeling world. Doing so opens the door for collaborations like giveaways, joint IGTVs and Instagram Live sessions, and more.
Collaborating with other models is a great way to get discovered by new accounts who may provide sponsorships or give shout outs. In the beginning of your Instagram modeling career, you won’t want to be too picky with your opportunities -- you’ll want to build up your portfolio to help you get more opportunities.
- Be authentic!
This seems like common sense but it’s easier to overlook than you would think. People tend to try so hard to be the “perfect” instagram model that they end up just copying other successful models and lose what makes them unique. Instead, post the content that makes you shine -- if you have a unique facial feature, play it up! If you try a bold new fashion look, have a photo shoot! Your followers will enjoy getting to know the real you, and it will make you stand out among other Instagram models.
Becoming an Instagram model is a great way to further your modeling career -- but it’s not easy. If you’re willing to put in the time and work though, it can be a rewarding and fun way to find a successful modeling career!